Thursday, September 13, 2007

Essential Oils - How they work - Lavender

For several weeks I've been writing about essential oils and how they have helped me. I'd like to tell you why they work. When I talk about essential oils to some people, they look at me like I'm nuts or talking about voodoo. In actuality, essential oils have been aiding and curing people long before the arrival of pharmaceuticals. Essential oils are the scent or essence of a plant. They each have their own chemical property. The different chemical properties can be useful effectively as anti-biotics, anti-virals, anti-mold. Additionally, they may have relaxing (anti-depressant), or stimulating properties.

Take for instance, Lavender. If you are going to choose one essential oil to start with, it should be lavender. This is one of the safest of the essential oils. Lavender is most effective at reducing stress because of it's anti-depressant and sedative properties. Lavender is also the most antiseptic because of its antifungal and antiviral properties. Lavender can be effectively used to help treat asthma and lung problems, skin infections, burns, and relieving muscle pain. Lavender actually numbs nerve endings to stop pain. Previously, I posted about a burn to my thumb and how lavender immediately took the pain away.

If you'd like to learn more about oils, please check out my website www.travelynnhealthy.com. Or check back daily for more info on essential oils!

No comments: